Saturday, August 09, 2008

We are up to our ears in boxes!

Our HHG shipment arrived and we have been trying to get things somewhat unpacked and is a lot more work than I remembered! It has been crazy here. Dave purchased a second car. The guys at work call him El Presidente now. It is a dark blue Lincoln Towncar. It isn't what he was looking for. He was looking for a Jeep Wrangler, but there wasn't one available in our price range. I feel bad. I sure wanted him to get something that he really wanted. I am hoping he will be able to soon. Anyway, Our goods arrived LATE on Wednesday (we also purchased the car) and then on Thursday evening we went to the airport in his new car to pick up another chaplain flying in for a deployment. Our car wouldn't start! We ended up having a tow truck tow it to the shop here on base and then have it looked at. I was imagining thousands of dollars in work. At this point we HAVE to fix it. We can't sell it the way it is and we need a car to drive. It ended up needing 3 fuses. Thank God it wasn't more. The shop did say that it needed some more work, so we will go get the part today and have that fixed while we are at it. In the process of all of this, I found out that our Chaplain was at the Navy port and ready to be picked up.....couldn't be better timing, other than it is an ordeal to pick it up. We had to go to the DMV and get a Guam permit (HUGE LONG LINE!) then go get it, get a safety inspection and then back to DMV. Luckily DMV doesn't close until 6 p.m. here. Then back to the base. As I was stopping to get my permit for Andersen, Dave stopped too and the security guard checked his registration and insurance of our loaner's expired. Why hadn't I checked this before? Anyway, no more driving our loaner car and hopefully Dave's new car will be back in working condition today! It has been an adventure!

We are making new friends slowly and have great neighbors. Dave will be putting the shed together in the back yard today. Wish him luck. It is a big pile o parts.